Welcome!

This blog is for all writers, published or not, that want to connect with other writers and who want to improve their craft.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Author Interview with George Cook

1. Why do you write?
I have a really lively imagination and just want to share with others whether it's one person or hundreds. It's also a release for me and believe it or not I actually relaxing when I'm writing. I know it sounds odd but I'm at peace when I'm creating.

2. How many books have you written?
I have written five. Two books of poetry, two children's books, and my latest a horror /sci fi action book.

3. What inspired you to write your (latest) book?
I always release a new book at the beginning of every year. I had promised myself that I would release a fiction book this year and that's what I did.  
The inspiration for this particular book came from the fact that I am a fan of walking dead movies and stories. I wanted to put my own spin on the genre and I decided to come at it from the military's perspective. I wanted to go into how would the soldiers called on to fight the dead feel and react to their situation.

4. What is your favorite genre to read?
I'm all over the map. I love biographies. I like horror. I enjoy science fiction but I would have to say that action adventure tops my list. I like a good action story with great antagonist and protaginist. 

5. Is your writing style at all influenced by those of your favorite authors?
I would say not. I am very conscious of trying not to write like others. I think I am influenced more by visual mediums such as television and movies. I have a very visual style and always write as if the story is a movie with ideas of how I want a scene to look and feel. I can even here the soundtrack i my head as I write. My latest book The Dead War Series was written while listening to Kanye West and Jay Z's Church in the Wild on a continuous loop.

6. Which is your favorite book that you’ve written?
Without question my latest. I love the action and took a lot of time on every action sequence.
I also got to bring to life characters I had written for other books that I never finished. I can't wait to write Book 2.

7. What is your opinion of the art of writing?
To me writing should be fun and not a task. If you truly are into what you are writing the words should flow. Then of course there are those times when you just hit a wall. Trust me I have about five or six unfinished books that are proof of that. But even with those five or six unfinished books there was material and ideas that could be used in other books. I believe that even a never before finished work has it's uses.

8. What advice would you give someone who is just beginning their own novel?
I would say start off with a good idea of what the story will be and how it will end. Having an idea where you are going can help keep you interested in what you are writing. 
I'm not saying map the whole story out because you never know where a story or characters may take you but definitely have some idea of what story you are trying to tell.

9. Do you have any funny and / or interesting stories about how you’ve come up with plots or characters?
I had one  character in The Dead War who had a few lines spoken dialogue but never had a name as I knew he would be killed off. He served a purpose of showing the strain fighting the dead was taking on the soldiers. After finishing the original draft I decided he was a very interesting character and fleshed him out a little bit with a name and a back story which is featured in one of the short stories included in the book.

10. Coke or Pepsi?
Pepsi of course. The label has the same colors as my favorite football team, The NY Football Giants. Go Big Blue!

You can find George's books on Amazon, as well as keep up with him on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment